Friday, April 8, 2011

Carrot - Ginger Soup


  I just recently discovered this soup at an Ostara celebration. It was so delicious I wanted to live in it! I finally received the recipe from it's maker, Melinda. Thank you Melinda! It was wonderful to eat it al fresco, with a delicious portobello salad on the side. 
Carrot-Ginger Soup

6 Tablesppons vegan "butter"
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced
1/2 onion, diced
7 cups broth 
1 1/2 lbs. carrots, cut in chunks  (I had only 1 lb. carrots, so added a small yam to make up the quantity)
pinch of curry
1 cup wine - a white Zinfandel works well. 
2 Tablespoons lemon juice 


Saute garlic, onion and ginger in butter, then add in everything else.  Simmer 30 - 45 minutes.  Puree in blender or food processor. (half in the blender at a time is my method; requires an extra pot to receive the first 1/2, in order to pour second 1/2 from cooking pot into the blender)

Add lemon juice and salt & pepper after pureeing.


*adapted from the chef at Skyline Ranch, Telluride, CO, 1989  (Skyline Ranch since has been sold to a private party; no longer open to the public) 

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, this does sound delish! this goes to the top of my try it list!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts