I love portobello mushrooms. They are wonderful as a side dish or even a vegetarian main dish. This is a dish from The Garden of Vegan (Arsenal Pulp, $22.95) by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard. Bragg is similar to soy sauce.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce (or preferably, Bragg sauce)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
In blender or food processor, grind almonds until powdered.
Add oil, Bragg sauce, water, vinegar, garlic, rosemary and oregano; blend.
Place mushrooms upside down in baking dish, tightly in one layer.
Spread onion and sauce on top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
To serve, slice thickly on diagonal.