I recently purchased the P90X2 Nutrition Guide because I heard it had lots more vegetarian and vegan recipes than the original guide. And it does!
The first recipe I tried was Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers. DELICIOUS! My family loved them. I made a triple recipe. Also I doubled the tomatoes.
Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
2 large red bell peppers
sea salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup water
8 oz tempeh, crumbled
7.5 oz (1/2 can) fire roasted diced tomatoes (I doubled this to 15 oz.)
2 Tbsp raw pine nuts
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1 Tbsp freshly chopped basil
1 Tbsp raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, leaving stems intact. Scoop out seeds and place cut side up in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake about 15 minutes, or until they're soft, but they still retain their shape.
- Put 1 cup of water in small pan and bring to a boil.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Add tempeh, tomatoes, and pine nuts to skillet and saute about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in rice, parsley, basil, and raisins. Remove from heat and season with a bit more salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into peppers in the baking pan. Pour just enough boiling water around the peppers to touch the base of each so they won't burn in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Info and Tips